A trampoline is a device used by gymnasts, and is also used for recreational sport. It consists of a taut sheet made mostly of canvas that has coiled springs attached to a metal frame. The springs provide the rebounding force which propels the jumper high into the air. Trampolines are becoming very popular these days; everybody loves them! Athletes use them to enhance their motor skills and to bring refinement in their aerial moves. Skiers, skaters, divers and gymnasts – everybody uses them extensively. Kids love to spring and tumble on them, as it is a great fun filled pass time for them. Even grown ups use them for exercising.
Types of Trampolines:
There are outdoor trampolines as well as indoor trampolines. Outdoor trampolines are more convenient as you can place them anywhere, and the kids can also play anytime they want without creating chaos in the house. It is better to get zinc coated trampolines as you can leave them outside all the year round without any worry about them getting rusted. Trampolines usually come in three basic shapes: square, round, and rectangular. They also come in different sizes and different heights; usually ten, twelve, fourteen and fifteen feet. Gymnasts prefer rectangular shaped trampolines than round shaped as they can orientate themselves better on a rectangular trampoline.
Always buy good quality trampolines:
You should only buy good quality trampolines to avoid any unnecessary accidents. Make sure you check the springs, jumping mats, frame pads and frames. Always buy quality frame pads for better protection. You also should check the width, thickness and the quality of materials that have been used in making the frame pad.
The next thing that you must check is the jumping mat. Check if the stitches are made properly and if it is capable of withstanding the weight of an adult. Always buy a good quality jumping mat for long durability. The spring is also another part that you should check. The longer the spring is, the better the bounce would be. The frame is also an important part. It needs to be strong enough to withstand the weight of more than one person, as kids like to play in groups. The frame of a good trampoline should never bend, or bow when set up, nor should it flex when in use. It is advisable to buy your trampoline only from a trusted manufacturer and supplier.
Tips to avoid accidents:
Though trampolines are fun, you should always be careful as there are risks involved. Here are some tips to keep in mind to avoid accidents:
• Avoid keeping outdoor trampolines indoors, as there are always risks of hitting your head on the ceiling or the light fittings. When you keep the trampoline outside keep it in an empty space free away from clotheslines, tree limbs, fences, furniture, and other objects that may cause injuries if you fall off.
• If possible set the legs/supports of the trampoline down into the ground to reduce the distance of a fall.
• Always wear comfortable clothing so that you are free to move, and avoid wearing really long or loose pants as there are chances that limbs may get entangled in extra folds.
• Remove all jewelry before getting on. Do not keep any contents in your pocket. Wear only trampoline footwear – if you do not have it, go barefoot, or in socks.
• Never attempt to do any complicated tumbling without getting proper training. If you land in an incorrect position you may get seriously injured.
• Those learning to use a trampoline for the first time must do so under adult supervision. There should be someone to instruct them in simple maneuvers, and also who is well versed in first aid for injuries.
These days you can find trampolines in gyms as well. Organized clubs and gyms usually have spotters placed at each corner of the trampoline to assist and to break the fall of any athlete who loses control and falls. Having some training in a gym may be beneficial before bringing one home.